Saturday, June 30, 2012

Another surgery behind us!!!!

Laynie had surgery on June 28th. Everything went really well and she was a trooper, like always!!! She had a soft palate repair, choanal atresia repair, tubes in her ears, a broncoscopy, and an ECHO. The surgeon still was not able to get all of her soft palate repaired. He said it is just too wide and the rest needs to be done in another 6-12 months. So that was a huge bummer because the soft palate usually can be done in 1 surgery and she is going to need 3 just for her soft palate:(
She has tubes in her nose to keep the nasal passageway open after the choanal atresia repair, but they are far up and you can't see them!!! Her lungs looked good and so did her trach area. We also got the okay to move her down in oxygen from 1/2 liter to 1/4 liter. She is doing much better with her o2 stats and we are very hopeful she will be done with oxygen soon. When that day comes there will be a big party!!! 
Her ECHO was super-d-duper!!!! Her heart looked awesome and we don't have to see the cardiologist for another full year!!!!

She had a blast in the surgery waiting room. This car is her favorite toy ever. We just may have to get her one for her birthday:) I can't believe she will be 2 soon.
 I was blowing bubbles to her while we were waiting to keep her happy!!!
 Most of the time I hardly even notice all of Laynie's extra equipment and tubes, but every once in awhile I look at her and think, "I can't believe this is my baby and she has to go through all of this." Sometimes it doesn't seem real that we have to walk into the PICU and see her on a ventilator looking like this. Then I know there are some kids in the PICU fighting for their lives and it takes me back to the time when we were in their shoes. I am so grateful she is as healthy as she is. The doctors and nurses were all amazing as usual!!!
 We noticed a big mark on her forehead with a bruise right away and asked what happened..... I guess during surgery they accidentally stapled her forehead!!! Isn't that horrible?!?!?
 She was really out of it while we were there and Trevor held her hand and she loved it. If he let go she would wake up and get super mad. It was so sweet. They held hands for hours!!!!
On our way home. She was sooooooo excited when it was time to go. She gave us some big smiles that we hadn't seen in awhile. She is pretty much back to her normal self. She is so awesome. She has a lot of bloody drainage from her nose and she is still on some pain meds. We are all so glad to check another surgery off her list!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad she is doing well! Our little CHARGERs are so tough. I love the story about Laynie holding daddy's hand. I know what you mean about the hospital being humbling. We are back at CHLA every other week and it helps me stay grounded. Prayers for Laynie to continue her recovery at home :)

Unknown said...

So glad that everything went so GREAT! Our CHARGEr are so BRAVE!

Ketcham22 said...

Yay! Go Laynie!! I'm so glad she did so awesome!!

Amber Wray said...

Way to go Laynie! You are all so brave! I am glad her surgeries went well. I pray she continues to heal!

Streett's said...

What a strong, brave girl! Hope she keeps doing great!! So cute that she wanted to hold Trevor's hand!