I have learned a lot from having such a special child. I have learned that children with special needs and certain challenges are much more SPECIAL than I even realized.
I have learned to be a mom, nurse, insurance fighter, respiratory therapist, and advocate for my child all at the same time.
I have learned to be so THANKFUL for my healthy body.
I have learned that I can't get through this challenge in life alone. There have been many times when I say, "Heavenly Father, I need help".
I have learned that this is my calling in life. I don't know if anyone else believes in that or not, but I strongly feel like my purpose in life (right now) is to care for my children and help Laynie through her many health challenges.
I have learned not to judge a horrible looking person you see at Walgreens because she may be a woman who has a baby in the PICU and was forced to leave from 7-8 for a nurse shift change and she hasn't showered in days and isn't wearing make-up.
I have also learned not to get offended by weird stares or odd comments. Most people are just curious and they aren't trying to be rude. I enjoy telling people about Laynie who actually care to listen.
I have learned that siblings of children with special needs are extra special too. I think Heavenly Father sends them to earth with extra patience, compasion, and love.
I have learned that Laynie is a million times stronger than I am. There are times I break down and think that I am so sick of not being able to take her everywhere with me and always being couped up in the house, I am sick of suctioning her 25 times a night, I am sick of dragging her oxygen tube around, I am sick of talking to doctors, nurses, and our insurance every day, and I am sick of all of her appointments. When I am being weak, all I have to do is look at her and she gives me the world's biggest smile and it makes everything better. SHE is the one that has to endure all of the pain and problems of her medically frail body, NOT ME! She is the one that stregthens me! She is AMAZING! Her strength is something that makes her more SPECIAL than words can describe.
4 comments:
I hope the results from the Holter monitor are good! Love you and can't wait to see you in August.
Ok, that post put me in tears! You are such an amazing person and mother. Those kids are SO lucky to have you!
You are such a good momma! I totally agree with the "calling" idea. I look back at my life before I had Alice and I was being prepared to have her in my life. And I totally agree with the sibling thing too...they're just a little sweeter and loving than everyone else. And I can totally say that because I don't have a sibling with special needs!
This made me very teary, as I can relate to all of it. Thank you for your words!
Post a Comment