Thursday, January 26, 2012

A new diet for Laynie Bug...

Mmmmmmm...... looks delicious?!?!?!? This is Laynie's new food for today (formula and sweet potatoes). We are starting her on a blenderized diet (BD). She has only ever had formula her entire life. Right now she uses Elecare formula which is a special prescribed formula that is supposed to be the easiest to handle, but she pukes after every single feeding usually. I have spent hours researching the blenderized diet and talked to a lot of fellow CHARGE mom's who have helped me a ton!!! A lot of their CHARGE kiddos have done amazing on the blenderized diet, so it gives me great hope.
A lot of times doctors and dieticians don't recommend it because it is harder to calculate the exact amount of calories the child is getting. It requires a TON of work for the parents and so it is something that they usually don't recommend. I am willing to do anything to help my poor girl. I am willing to cook all day (even though, let's face it... I dislike cooking) if it helps her out. We have an appointment with the GI team next week so I will run it by them and I am hoping that they are willing to help me to figure out her exact needs and help me with some recipes.
Right now we are just starting super easy.... I am blending baby food in with her formula. It can be quite complicated though. Some people don't use any formula at all and just use real food. They use meat, grains, fruits, veggies, oils, etc... and blend it to liquid form and feed it through the tube.
I am not sure how far we will go with this, but I am hoping and praying that it helps our Laynie Bug. So far today........... NO PUKING!!!!! That is a miracle!!!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Looks yummy! I'm so glad she hasn't been puking...hopefully this new diet works out for her.

Ketcham22 said...

A blenderized diet is so much better for her, well everyone that's being tube fed in my opinion! I just never think its normal for someone to be just fed formula or pediasure for their whole lives! We've been doing the blended diet for awhile and we've slowly worked up to adding fruits/veggies, grains and meats to his formula as well! It's definitely more work than I thought it would be but's it so worth it. Plus we got a Blendtec blender and I am able to make most of his food myself! Does Laynie do bolus feeds? Also do you guys use a pump? There are some tricks if you want to know just ask!
-Laura (Nick's mom)