Saturday, October 18, 2014

Being a mom...

I'm not sure why I am even wanting to write this post but for some reason I do. Since this is our family scrapbook/journal, I really want to be able to look back and remember what life was like for me with 3 young kids.
Honestly, 3 kids is kicking my rear! Everyone says that 3 kids is hard and you are finally out-numbered. Yeah- it's true!
It's also a great time of life though. I don't think there is ever a time when my kids will love me so much. Drake and I have fights everyday about who loves the other more. I tell him I will always win, but he keeps on fighting!!!
I love being a mom.

Wow- she is actually sleeping in this picture. For some reason I have been blessed with 3 kids who love to NOT sleep.
Not every kid deals with what Drake has to deal with. His sister's (Laynie) needs almost always trump his. She needs medical attention and she has to come first. We try hard not to let her special needs take away from the attention that our other kids need, but sometimes it does and that's how it will always be. I'm positive both Drake and Daphne will be more selfless people in the end, but sometimes as a parent it is hard to balance everyone's needs!

Laynie has taught me so much and keeps teaching me more and more. I would never have imagined that I would have been able to handle some of the heart-wrenching moments I have had with Laynie. Nothing is more painful as a parent than seeing your child hurt. And nothing is better that watching your child succeed, and be HAPPY. I remember after we discovered that Laynie had CHARGE syndrome and we were unsure of what her future may be like, I always knew that I may not be able to control if she could talk, breathe on her own, eat by mouth etc.... but I was DETERMINED to make sure she had a HAPPY life. And I am sure she is happy and that makes me incredibly happy:)
I will always do anything within my powers to give her the happiest life possible, because she deserves it!
We have fun moments like when I have to CUT Daphne's shirt off because her blow-out was so bad (up the back to her HAIR) But really, we have fun dancing to Fresh Beat Band, playing Candyland, going on little outings, ticking each other, playing the stare game, and stuff like that. I am so grateful I get to stay home with my kids. Thank you Trevor for working so hard so I can be home.
Sorry for the gross picture. I know one day Daphne will love me for posting this!
And thank you Trevor for coming home from work and saving me every day. It kind of reminds me when Daphne is laying on the floor and I walk out of the room and she starts screaming and then I walk back in and her legs and arms start kicking and she squeals with excitement because she thinks I am going to save her from laying by herself. We ALL look forward to 5:00 everyday!
Watching my kids be friends is my very favorite! Laynie adores both her brother and little sister!!!
Feedings and outings are the two things that are especially hard now. Now I have 2 kids that need me to be a part of 100% of their feedings. I feel like I am always feeding one of them. Laynie eats 4 times a day, but each feeding takes about 2 hours and is 4 syringes that I have to give her. Daphne eats every 2 hours so I feel like I am a feeding machine! 
We tackle outings with Daphne in the pack on my stomach, Laynie in the stroller and Drake walking. We don't last long, but I am happy I have finally figured out a system that works where I have both girls under control!
Some days I dream about a Caribbean cruise or even just a date night, but............
I know this time will be over before I know it and I will MISS it terribly! I love every part of motherhood, even the hard parts. It is what makes me happy and I love my 3 kiddos so, sooooo much!

1 comment:

Rachel Murray said...

I remember right after Ellie got her trach and we got her trisomy 4p diagnosis and I was so worried about what her life was going to be like. Leslie referred me to your blog and the first thing I saw was a picture of Laynie smiling and laughing with Trevor in a pool. That's when I realized that Ellie's life would be as wonderful as we made it. Thanks for teaching us that. From what I've seen, you have succeeded in making Laynie extremely happy! I'm glad you are enjoying this crazy, but wonderful time of life.