This is her usual contraption that she wears all day long. She has a HME (heat-moisture exchange) on over her trach. It traps in her own moisture and lets her breathe more humid air. Then over that is a speaking valve. This is our life-saver. It is the only thing that controls her secretions. Without it, she is like a water fountain of secretions! Then attached to the speaking valve is her oxygen!
This is what her trach looks like with none of the stuff on it. And we just put the suction down the hole to a certain pre-measured length to suction her.
And this is what her trach looks like. The end that sticks out of her has a long neck so it doesn't get caught under her big chunky chin. And the other end is what obviously goes into her throat. Then there are ties/holder that attaches to the sides and wraps around her neck! We change her trach about once a week and change the gauze under it 1-2 times a day. I still don't like changing her trach. I am over the fear now, but she absolutely hates it and has a really hard time when we do it. It just isn't fun!I remember in the hospital when we were learning how to care for her trach they said that we will know way more them them soon and be pros at it. I thought, oh boy I doubt it! But it is very true. We have learned a lot and I can say Trevor and I are both pros and push the nurses aside when she is in the hospital.
I hope and pray that someday she will be able to get rid of this thing! We really have no idea how much longer she will need it. All I know is it won't be any time soon that it will be coming out!
I am happy that it keeps her happy and out of the hospital. She is such a trooper and goes through way too much discomfort daily.
.....But, it keeps her alive and happy!
1 comment:
I just deleted your comment on my blog by accident :( sorry I'm on my phone and hit the wrong button. Anyway lol. I'm amazed at how strong Laynie is and you for that matter. You two were meant to be together :) I can't imagine having to learn all that you do and going through all that you have this past year. You are an amazing momma :)!
Post a Comment