Sunday, January 8, 2012

Laynie's new ventilator

Before we headed down to Primary Children's on Tuesday, my parents took my brother to his first movie. They went to Puss in Boots and I stayed home with my nurse, Holly. Drake loved the movie and did really well and can't wait to go to another one. They wanted to do something fun with him, because he was staying home with our grandparents. (Thanks grandparents for taking care of our boy... He had a blast)
We went to the hospital to get me started on a ventilator at night. My sleep study showed that I have central sleep apnea and need assistance while I sleep. We were there from Tuesday to Friday and it was a long and boring stay. I am soooooo glad I wasn't there for surgery or because I was sick, but it still isn't fun being in the hospital. My parents had to do some ventilator training during the day, but other than that we just had to hang out all. day. long!!! I did AMAZING on the ventilator. My parents were sooooo shocked because I only needed suctioned one time at night. That is a major record. I usually get suctioned a million times. It is a little complicated to understand and the alarms would put a fire alarm to shame. I loved not having to work so hard to breathe at night, and I slept so well.
Some of the things I did while we were there to take up time was being held by my mom a lot.
Played in a fun activity center.
Sat on my dad's lap and played with the remote.
Pulled my valve off a million times an hour.
Went on walks in a wagon. This was my favorite activity. I would smile and chat the entire time.
My dad blew bubbles for me.
I played in the bath tub.
And I got my first hair cut. My mom couldn't stand my stringy mullet and it would get in the way of my trach ties, so she cut it. I like my new look:) My poor head is getting quite bald on top/back because of my crazy back scooting. I can go all over the house now.
This is what I look like hooked up to the ventilator. There are a lot of tubes and wires and the vent alarms at everything!!! My parents are a little tired today because I was alarming every 5 minutes last night. They are new to this and need to work out a few things!!!
Another thing I worked on was signing. I know A LOT of signs now. I am happy to be home and I am happy to be sleeping safer and sounder!!!

3 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm so glad everything went well and your home now. And I'm also so glad Laynie is able to sleep better at nights with her ventilator. Lets get together sometime this week.

Kristie said...

So happy to hear everything went well.

AubreyandTerry said...

I am just amazed at how happy Laynie always looks! She seems like such a sweet girl!