Thursday, January 10, 2013

Trach/Vent Clinic...

Laynie had some appointments at Primary Children's Medical Center yesterday. My mom was able to drive us and come with us this time. Drake stayed home with Grandma Maureen. Trevor and I have the BEST moms!!!! Thank you for always helping us. My mom had a coat on when she got in the car and then later down the road she took it off and we realized we were wearing the same shirt. So embarrassing!!!! We met my sister and her family at Rubio's (most delicious place ever) before the appointments and they just laughed at us!!! I guess we should stop going shopping together.
She had a CT scan under general anesthesia scheduled because she needed it before her cochlear implant surgery, but we postponed the cochlear implant surgery to April 5th. I was a nervous wreck about all the sickness and flu going around right now, so I just felt better rescheduling. Anyways, we also rescheduled the CT scan.
So all she had was the trach/vent clinic. In this clinic she met with a pulmonologist, an ENT doctor, a special care pediatrician, the trach/vent coordinator, a nurse practitioner, and a social worker. It was a 4 hour appointment!!!!!!!
They were all absolutely amazed with how AWESOME she is. They couldn't believe how dang cute she was and how sweet her personality is. They were also so impressed that she is walking and thriving. She weighed 25lbs which completely shocked me. Last time I weighed her about 1 month ago she was almost 23lbs. She had tons of attitude and didn't want to get out of her stroller. She thinks if she stays in there then she is safe.
ALL of the doctors agreed with me to cancel her cochlear implant surgery. It is too risky of a surgery for her to get really sick right after. It made me feel good because the implant surgeon didn't want me to cancel, but something in my mamma heart was telling me to reschedule. I listened to my heart, but I didn't know if I was just being paranoid, or if it was because I am SOOOOO nervous for this surgery and just wanted to put it off. I feel better now that 3 other doctors agreed with me. The special care pediatrician says she is not an advocate of hibernating, that she thinks we should still live our lives, but be very careful. Then, she said, "Right now..... I suggested hibernation. Use as much sanitizer as you can and be as cautious as possible." She said that there are some really nasty things out there right now, especially the flu.
The pulmonologist really thinks that she just needs to get bigger and stronger before her oxygen needs will improve. He doesn't think there is something serious going on with her lungs. He did say that during her last x-ray her lungs looked a little small, so she just doesn't have a very large lung capacity. She has been doing well without oxygen for a little bit though. We are going to keep testing her with her pulse ox and see how she does. She has had no oxygen for a big part of the day lately!!! SO EXCITING!!!!
The ENT tried a speaking valve with no oxygen port and she could not use it. She wasn't able to breathe with it on. He was surprised that it wouldn't work and he was thinking she may have some narrowing of her upper airway. No suggestions were made, but it was a little interesting.
EVERYTHING else went great and we got home safe!!!! We had a really long and much needed break of no appointments in Salt Lake over the holiday's. That break is over, but I am glad she is doing well.
Now we are crossing our fingers that we escaped all the sickness while we were in the hospital. I was a sanitizing fool while we were there!!!
Here is us in our lovely matching outfits.

No comments: