Saturday, April 6, 2013

Cochlear Implant Surgery

Laynie had her surgery on Friday. We were so worried and concerned about the surgery. We had a CT scan on Wednesday under anesthesia to look where her facial nerve was so the surgeon didn't hit it during surgery and paralyze her face. That went great, but Wednesday night she came down with a little cold. I was so sad because I thought we would have to post-pone the surgery again and we had tried so hard to keep her healthy. On Thursday we had a pre-op appointment with the surgeon and an appointment with the audiologist. Her cold ended up being very mild and the doctor said it wasn't too big of a deal because she is always sick and it was mild, but it would be up to the anesthesiologist to make the final call.
Also, he said he still couldn't see the facial nerve very well on the CT scan and he was nervous about it because it is in a weird location. He also said that her anatomy is very different in her ear and he would have to remove her ear drum and possibly have to close off her entire ear canal in order to have enough room to do the surgery. So if you were to look in her ear with an otoscope, you couldn't see in, it would be completely closed off. We were extremely concerned about this because one of the major risks of this surgery is an ear infection that is left untreated and then causing further infection or meningitis. Also she has always had ear tubes her entire life because she has a high risk for ear infections and she couldn't have tubes if it was closed off. He made it very clear many times about how unusual her anatomy is and how difficult of a case she was going to be. I left that appointment feeling so overwhelmed, worried, and confused.
Trevor and I talked that night and even thought to not do the surgery at all. We just wanted to do what was best for Laynie, but we were so scared...
She got a great blessing from Trevor and his dad and we kept remembering the things that were said. Trevor was finally the one that reminded me that we need to have more faith and she was going to be alright. We felt good about it and were excited, but we were still scared. You would think after all the surgeries she has had we would be used to this by now, but this one was the hardest so far.
She had so many people thinking and praying for her and by the time Friday came, we felt really confident and good about everything.
 
Giving my girlie a good luck kiss before surgery...
She was a huge sweetheart before surgery. Everyone around her was commenting about how adorable and sweet she was!!!
Laynie and daddy before surgery...
The surgeon came out and talked to us after about 2 1/2 hours. He said he was able to get all the electrodes in, which he didn't think he would be able to do. He said he was able to stay clear from her facial nerve, which he was the most nervous about. And he said he was able to save her ear canal. He said it was one of the most difficult ones he has ever done, but we couldn't have received a better report. Seriously, it was a miracle that all of those things happened. Thank you everyone for the prayers. They were definitely heard and answered.
She was extremely miserable after surgery. After she got the good pain meds (morphine), she was able to calm down and get some rest, but it took a long time!!! This morning she was feeling pretty good. She is still on pain medicine, but is doing fabulous!!!!
She got her bandage removed this morning, but there is so much bleeding that she is wearing another bandage for a few days.
Warning.... this picture is a little gruesome so if you have a weak stomach skip it!!!
 
She got her hair shaved. They shaved a lot more than I was expecting:(
This is her incision. She has stitches under the skin that will dissolve and then steri strips over the incision. Ouch!!!
The sweetest thing happened.... They only let one parent go back to the recovery room while they are waking up, so of course I go running. When Trevor met us in the hallway when we were wheeling her up to her room she saw him and was happy. Then he was walking behind her bed and she couldn't see him and she kept signing and crying for him. It was so sweet, she didn't want her daddy out of her view. She was also signing for her brother too, but he wasn't there. He stayed at my sister's house during surgery and played with his cousins and Grandma Debbie!!! He had a great time!!!
Thumbs up.... our little rockstar did awesome. Time to head home!!!!!
We are so proud of you miss Laynie. You are braver than anyone I know. You help us all be strong!!! You are such a joy and we are so excited for this new adventure for you! You did amazing and we all admire you!!!! Get well soon sweetie!

5 comments:

Whitney said...

I am in tears right now. I'm not sure why...tears of joy!! I'm so glad everything went well! Laynie is so amazing and I love her to bits!! I hope she gets feeling better soon!

MeganandClaudy said...

How brave of you guys to push through. I've felt those feelings of not knowing what to do. What a good example you are to turn to a blessing and use your faith. I'm so happy for you guys that it went so well. Here's to a fast recovery and more blessings!

Kristie said...

She is SO amazing!! This is making me cry. She looks so cute with her hair up and bows and pink bandage. So happy to hear that everything went so well. We wanted to bring you dinner but I got sick and the kids got sick so I didn't want to make you something and possible get you all sick. So will stay away until we are all better. :)

Chelsey said...

This was so touching, you are such a great example. I am so glad everything went well with her surgery. Laynie is such a cute girl I hope her recovery is quick and healthy.

Streett's said...

You are all amazing examples of faith and strength! I'm so glad it went well! Who else could make a bandage look so cute! :)