We had our complete ultrasound last week to check on all the parts of the baby. Our baby is still a GIRL! We are so excited. We also found out some unfortunate and shocking news about her……
She has a left unilateral cleft lip and a cleft palate. We are so heartbroken that our little angel will have to go through so much after birth. We feel so blessed that it isn’t anything more serious, but it is still so hard to imagine. We know that it is something that is completely fixable and we are so grateful for that! We just can’t imagine putting our little baby into surgery. She will most likely have 3-4 surgeries in her first year of life and then more as she gets a little older. Her first surgery will most likely be when she is about 6 weeks old. All of the surgeries are done in Salt Lake City. Children with clefts also may have difficulty eating, speech problems, chronic ear infections, or dental problems. When we heard the news, we sort of thought it would be one quick surgery, but that is not the case unfortunately. As far as the ultrasound could tell, she is healthy in every other way. Throughout my life I have always had a strong feeling that I would have a child with some sort of special needs. I have NEVER said this out loud to a soul, because I sure wouldn’t wish this on any of my children. I had no clue that it would be something like this though. In her own way, she will have certain special needs. I am soooooo sensitive and I don’t know how I’m going to make it through these surgeries. I cry at everything, even commercials!!! I just don’t feel like I am a strong enough person, but I know everything will work out fine. This may sound weird, but I truly feel so much closer to this baby after hearing this news. Maybe it is that natural protection that every mother has. I am so thankful and excited to be her mom. I already love her so much! I know she will teach me so much, and hopefully help me become a better person and a better mother. I am so thankful for my husband, mom, family, and our loving Heavenly Father to help us get through this journey!
21 comments:
I know you're strong enough, you're already an amazing Mom! Your little baby girl is so lucky to have you as her Mom. I love you!
I know that you and Trevor will be the best parents to your new sweet angel. I love you!
So sorry to hear! We will keep you and your sweet little girl in our thoughts and prayers.
Your little babies other Grandma Maureen just came in my office and she asked me to write something for her too. She wants you to know how much she loves you and Trevor and she also knows how lucky your little baby girl is to have you two as parents.
I've taken care of a few cleft palate/lip babies at the hospital. Calyn, you will do absolutely wonderful with her. You're seriously one of the best mom's out there!!! It might seem like a long road in the beginning, but everything will turn out just fine. If you deliver at Mtn View, I hope to meet her!
Calyn, you are so strong.I have always been so impressed with your faith and kindness. I just adore you and I know that you and Trevor will give your baby all the love she deserves. We are willing to help with anything. Please know that you have so many people who love you and will keep you guys in our prayers.
I am so sorry! I am sitting here crying thinking of your sweet baby having to have surgeries, but I know you and Trevor are so strong and such great parents! You will be wonderful to her!
Wow, Calyn I'm so sorry that your little girl will have to go through those surgeries... But I know that you and your husband will be there for her as much as you can!! She will definitely know that she is loved. Take care, you guys will be in my prayers!
I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine. You seriously are the best mommy and I have seen that first hand. I really look up to you and know for sure you a strong enough person. I love you!!
yOU ARE THE ANGEL MOM THAT YOUR LITTLE ANGEL GIRL NEEDS. SHE WILL BE BEAUTIFUL AND IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU AND TREVOR AS PARENTS.
You really are such a great mom and will do amazing with your sweet little girl! She is lucky to be coming to such a loving family. I'm so excited to meet the little lady!
This little girl is so blessed to have you as her mommy and I have no doubt that you are strong enough. You two are the best parents for this little angel and heavenly father knows that :). You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Oh I know that little Laynie will be such a blessing to our family! I already love the little sucker more than you know! I love you>>>
You are such a good mom and I have no doubt you are strong enough! You have such a good attitude about it already. She is so lucky to have a mommy like that!
You guys are really the only two people that I can think of that would know how to love her like she deserves! I had a dream abbout her and she had her own reality show as a swimsuit model! Me and my crazy dreams!
Calyn,
There are no words to describe the heart ache a mother feels when she discovers her little child will have something very difficult to bear. Over the years I have shed gallons of tears of fear, frustration, anger, exhaustion, relief, hope, joy, and gratitude. I think when it comes to trials and our children, our emotions are permanently hardwired to our tear ducts. We are truly blessed to live during a time with modern medicine. If it were not for this, my daughter would not be here today. Your little baby will amaze you with her courage and ability to cope with things. You will amaze yourself with your ability to endure and care for your sweet baby girl. You will be the best advocate she will ever have. If you ever need anything day or night…or just need to have someone to have a good crying session with, please give me a call.
Amy P.
Thank you everyone for your comments. They are all so nice and reassuring. I really don't mean to be someone that you feel sorry for though. I just thought it would be easier to break the news on the blog because I have a hard time talking about it. But thank you for all the kind words and encouragement!!!
She is such a lucky little girl to have an awesome mom like you your such a strong person and I know you can handle anything that comes your way. Let us know if you ever need anything
You are such a kind and patient person-- I'm sure God will give you everything you need to take this on :) Your little girl is going to be so beautiful! How can she not with your genes?
I can only agree with everything everyone has already said.
I am so glad that all other parts appear strong and healthy!
everything will be just great. You are a wonderful soul. and so are you children
Post a Comment