I also got a call about her sleep study results. I wasn't expecting a call for 2 weeks so I was a little shocked and I didn't have all my questions ready. They said that she had a lot of central sleep apnea and desaturations with and without the use of oxygen. They recommend that she uses a ventilator at night. Of course I will do what is best for her, but I asked if it is something they strongly suggest or something that she might benefit a little from. He didn't really answer the question. He just said that is the recommendation. This is another big machine that requires training and I am sure it is a big pain in the rear! She will have to go into the hospital for 5-7 days to get on it and make sure the settings are right and she tolerates it well. Then we have to go to classes to learn how to use it and then we can bring her home on a home vent at night. It just seems like this is a step in the wrong direction. I still have some questions for the doctor and I need to make sure this is something that she really needs!!! The good news is the ventilator might control her secretions a little better at night because it gives her PEEP (positive end-expiratory pressure). I'm not exactly too thrilled about doing this and spending a week in the hospital right before Christmas. Hopefully we can do it after Christmas, and I am still crossing my fingers that she might not need it at all.
*****I just talked to her doctor and he explained to me the difference between obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea. He said that obstructive is when something is in the way, like tonsils or a floppy airway ect... You try to breathe while asleep but it is being obstructive and you have to work hard to breathe. Central sleep apnea is when your brain is not giving the signal to breathe at all. Laynie has central sleep apnea and it is a lot more concerning than obstructive sleep apnea. He definitely suggested the ventilator. So it looks like some changes will be coming in the future for little Miss Laynie Bug! Someone is researching what home ventilator our insurance will accept and getting back to us next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment