Monday, November 21, 2011

Our busy, fun, & crazy week

We had a very busy week. We started it off last Sunday with Trevor's birthday. He turned 28! We had family over for dinner, and cake and ice cream. He said he had a perfect birthday staying home and watching football all day. I love you Trevor and I hope your birthday was great. Thanks for being my husband, the love of my life, and partner in life. xoxoxo


On Tuesday we headed down to Salt Lake for some appointments for Laynie. Drake stayed home with Mamma Maureen and Papa. She had a sleep study scheduled for Tuesday night. We had to be there at 8pm and she was pretty good while they hooked her up with all the wires. She was extremely tired because I kept her awake most of the day, so she just layed there and let them put all the stuff on her. I was surprised she behaved so well. She slept pretty good most of the night and then she woke up at 4:30. She wouldn't go back to sleep so they ended the study at that time. I am glad Drake wasn't there because Trevor had to come back to the hospital at 4:30am to come get us! This is very typical of her, she has some sleeping issues:) We should get the results back in about 2 weeks.Then, Wednesday morning she had an audiologist appointment. It turns out her hearing aid has been broken. I have no clue how long it was broken for! I hadn't noticed any difference with it on or off and now I know why! We got a new aid and she did some tests in a sound booth. She responded a little with it on so that is good. She will have some more tests over the next 4-6 months and then we will decide if she needs/wants a cochlear implant. I have heard great things about cochlear implants, but for some reason I am a little unsure about it. It seems like there are a lot of risks involved with the surgery!


Next, she had an eye appointment. The doctor said that she does have a small coloboma in her eye. It is in a location that it will most likely not interfere with her vision. Other than that, her eyes looked great. This is something we are SO thankful for. Eye problems and blindness are extremely common with CHARGE syndrome. 80% of CHARGE kids have colobomas in their eye.... so when they told us she didn't have them (at 2 months old) we were surprised, but happy! She is very lucky with her eye sight and I am so glad she has good vision (so far) since her hearing is so bad.


Her last appointment was with the GI doctor and a dysphagia (trouble swallowing) team. She saw a GI doctor, a dietician, and an occupational therapist. We changed her formula from Neocate to Elecare about a month ago and she has completely stopped vomitting. She was vomitting after every single feeding before and now she isn't at all. It has been so wonderful... a huge answer to my prayers! She has been losing weight though. She had a great curve going with her weight and she all of a sudden completely dropped down again. She is back into the 1 percentile for weight and she was in the 16th percentile. So we are increasing her formula from 20 calories to 30 calories. I am sure this will help a lot, and she will plump right up!


Her appointments went really well!!! We hurried home Wednesday night and got ready to go on a vacation!!!


My dad flew us and my sisters and all the kids down to California. My grandma from Washington also came down! We had a little early Thanksgiving together and we got to see my little brother's championship waterpolo game. He is a senior and this was his very last game. They won the game and it was so great to be able to be there to cheer him on!


I was extremely nervous about taking Laynie to California and on a plane. We got everything we needed for her (a special oxygen concentrator to take on the plane, and supplies shipped to my dad's house). It is just scary because I wanted to make sure we brought everything we needed for her and I wasn't sure how she would be. We also don't take her around a lot of people, because she gets sick so easily. She did really well though and everything went really smooth. Drake did great too! Our flights were delayed both ways which wasn't fun at all. And they lost Trevor's bag on the way home (still lost). Thank goodness I packed all of her supplies on a carry-on!
Halle, Drake, and Trevor on the plane to California




My dad and Laynie

My sisters and I


Cousins!!! Maddox, Drake, Jaxon, Sophie, Halle, and Ivy. Drake had a blast playing with his cousins all weekend. He loves Jaxon and copies whatever he does.




My brother Matt after the game recieving his award! He played so great and it was so fun to watch him play! Congrats Matt! We are proud of you!



Thank you so much dad and Erin for the weekend. We had such a great time and we are so glad we were able to spend some time with you!

We made it through the week and we even made it through a vacation. It was a lot of work, but so much fun! I am counting on having a sick week now:( I hope not, but I will be surprised if Laynie doesn't get sick after being around so many people.

1 comment:

Ketcham22 said...

I am glad to hear all of Laynie's appointments went so well! And that flying went well too! I was nervous about flying with Nick last week as well but he did marvelous and I am so thankful he has ear tubes which help with the ear popping we all get when flying.
Glad to hear everyone is doing well and hopefully (if not already) they will find Trevor's bag!!